Lobster Tacos a la Cabo San Lucas
I call these Lobster Tacos a la Cabo San Lucas because the recipe is inspired by the best street tacos I’ve ever had in Cabo. This place called Gus’s Tacos had the best al pastor and carne asada tacos. They meat had so much flavor infused into it. They would slice up meat for your tacos and cook it with some onions on that large flat top crusted with so much meat juice and grease. Then top some cheese to melt on the tortillas before filling it with the meat. They tend provided a dizzying array of toppings like raw onions, cilantro, sauces, and pickled veggies. Since I don’t have a flat top that’s crusted with all the meat juice and grease I decided to create that flavor by rendering some BACON with along some onions in the pan first. The bacon juice and grease is what I used to cook my lobster in to evoke that flavor I would get in Cabo. I then added a little chopped tomatoes to bring in a little acidity. Finished it off with a handful or two of shredded Mexican cheese to get a slight creaminess. Imagine biting into a soft tortilla filled with plump, juicy, tender, and flavorful lobster flecked with bites of bacon, raw onions, cilantro and a touch of cooling spicy sour cream dressing. It’s out of this world! And what’s awesome is that this recipe is KETO friendly. The tortillas I used are LOW CARB Tortillas with only 3grams of net carbs per tortilla!
You can also visit the link listed below to watch me make this dish live from scratch.
3 whole lobster tails (raw and in the shell)
4-5 tortillas (corn or flour) I used low carb whole wheat tortillas
1 medium to small sized tomato
1 tsp garlic
2 tsp taco seasoning
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 red onion sliced
5 pieces of thick cut bacon
2 handful shredded Mexican Cheese
1 tsp Avocado oil
1 cup freshly minced red onions
1 cup freshly minced cilantro
1 bowl of quartered limes (2 limes cut up)
Cooling Cilanto Cream Sauce:
5 tablespoon low fat sour cream
1 cup cilantro
1 tsp garlic
juice of 1/2 lime
1 tsp lemon juice
pinch of salt
pinch of oregano
1/4 sliced red onion
1/4 jalapeno de-seeded
1 tsp olive oil
splash of water
1. Prep your toppings and set aside
2. Heat the pan to high heat first and start making your Cooling Cilantro Cream Sauce by adding all those ingredients into a blender and blending it until smooth. Serve in a bowl garnished with some cilantro leaves and a little paprika powder for color
3. Once the pan is hot add your red onions and oil and like it cook for 2 minutes before adding the bacon.
4. Render the fat out of the bacon so it’s slightly crisp and fully cooked. Now remove the bacon onion mixture and keep the bacon fat in the pan.
5. Cut your lobster in half and clean out the guts in the middle by rinsing it out. Peel the flesh from the shell for each lobster and cut the fresh into small chunks.
6. Add the lobster to the pan of bacon grease and cook with a tsp of minced garlic, taco seasoning, paprika, and lemon juice. Turn heat to medium Cook until it just becomes barely opaque and add your bacon onion mixture to it. Fully incorporate and then add the chopped tomatoes. Turn heat back to high now and add your cheese. Season with some salt and taste.
7. Now turn heat off and let the cheese melt into the sauce. Taste again before plating.
1. You can either melt a little cheese on the tortilla and add you filling or skip the cheese in the tortilla portion since I already melted some cheese into the filling already.
2. Ladle the lobster bacon filling into the tortilla, top with some onions, cilantro, squeeze of lime juice and drizzle the Cooling Cilantro Cream Sauce.
3. Now you have an incredibly good looking taco that will blow your socks off. Enjoy!