Scallion Egg Pancake
Scallion pancakes and crepes are really common street food items in China and I use to eat them all the time in the morning with eggs cooked into the pancake. We however don’t have anything like it in San Francisco. We call it Dan Bing in Shanghai. So instead of craving it and thinking about it, I decided I’m going to make something as close as possible to it with what I have in my fridge. This method may seem really strange but I had to make due with what I had. One surprising use of pizza dough is that you can panfry it and turn it into a scallion pancake. I had green onions, sesame seed, hoisin sauce, pizza dough and eggs…which makes up all the components I need for this dish. Try this way of using pizza dough and you’ll see how many different ways you can use leftover dough in the future.
Scallion Egg Pancake
Ingredients: Serves 2 as a snack
1/2 lb pizza dough
1 cup diced green onions
1/4 cup sesame oil
salt and white pepper
2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
flour for working with dough
1. Take your pizza dough out and let it rest for 30 mins out.
2. Now roll out your dough on a floured surface
3. Once the dough is rolled flat, let it rest
4. In a bowl, mix your green onions with 2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon white pepper and sesame oil.
5. Taste and season more if it doesn’t taste salty
6. Now roll the dough out some more so it’s nice and thin.
7. Spoon your green onion mixture into the middle of the dough.
8. Now fold your dough in half over the other side like you would fold a piece of paper in half.
9. Press down on the sides to seal.
10. Use the rolling pin and flatten it out a bit.
11. Heat up a pan to high heat and add some oil.
12. Pan sear your dough in the pan and add some sesame seeds.
13. Once the dough starts to turn golden brown, turn heat to medium and let it cook on both sides for 3 minutes.
14. Now crack your egg into the pan and let it cook into the scallion pancake.
15. Turn heat to high and panfry until golden brown.
16. Remove and slice into pieces and sprinkle sesame seed on top and drizzle the hoisin sauce (mix the 3 tablespoon hoisin with 2 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon sesame oil)