Black Pepper Beef Stiry Fry w/ Penne
This is a dish I love making for my parents. It’s one of many Asian Fusion dishes I’ve created using ingredients we have at home and fusing them with other cuisines. In my family, woodear which sounds strange is an ingredient we have in abundance. My mother seems to believe it’s extremely healthy for you and she always has some stewed and chilled in the fridge to be eaten either in desserts or tossed into savory dishes. So I took some of her woodear and decided to treat it like mushrooms and stir fry it with some beef and penne pasta. The texture is a little crunchy and has the same essence you would get from mushrooms. Since woodear is not common in most people’s kitchen you can also use plain button mushrooms, portabella mushrooms or cremini.
Black Pepper Beef Stir Fry w/ Penne
Ingredient: Serves 2
1 cup dry penne (boiled)
3/4 cup thinly sliced rib eye beef
6 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup sliced brown onions
1/2 cup sliced woodear or crimini or button mushrooms
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoon salt
1. Bring a pot of water to boil and add some salt to it.
2. Boil your penne and start on your beef and sauce
3. Marinate your beef with 2 tablespoon soy, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 teaspoon salt, some fresh cracked pepper
4. Heat a non stick pan with some olive oil and add your onions and start caramelizing. Once they turn golden, transfer them to a plate.
5. Now add a little more oil and heat up again. Add your beef and garlic. Stir fry until half way cooked and add your woodear or mushrooms and caramelized onions. Stir fry the three together and then add your penne pasta.
6. Mix thoroughly and add the rest of your seasoning. Taste everything and add soy or sugar accordingly to adjust flavor.
7. Cook on high heat so the liquid evaporates and adheres to the pasta.
8. Plate once the liquid is gone and the pasta has a nice brown color from the sauce.
9. Enjoy and garnish with a parsley leaf!