Szechuan Beef and Tofu Stirfry
I like to call this the Asian Protein Bowl. It’s loaded with sliced ribeye beef and tofu, both of which are great sources of protein. I added some red bell peppers, scallions and basil. I made this dish last week while working at House of Nanking. It was a cold day and I needed something satisfying that would fill me up and warm me up as well. Try this recipe at home and you’ll be wanting to eat this all the time.
1 cup thinly sliced beef ribeye
1 cup cubed tofu (medium firmness)
1/2 cup sliced red bell peppers
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 tablespoon minced thai basil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 tablespoon chili sauce or siracha
1 teaspoon chili flake
2 tablespoon chili oil
1 tablespoon soy
1 teaspoon sugar
soybean oil for cooking
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon soy
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Marinate your beef for 2 mins. In a separate pot, boil water and add your tofu in there to boil. (boil tofu for 5 mins)
2. Heat your wok or non stick pan to high with some soybean oil.
3. Add your beef and stir fry until 80% done, cooked with very little pinkness in the center
4. Remove the beef from the wok and now add your aromatics(bell peppers green onions, garlic, ginger, basil, chili flake)
5. Stir fry that for 1 min and then add your beef, soy, chili sauce, chili oil, sugar and cooked tofu.
6. STir fry everything until fully incorporated and the beef is fully cooked. Stir carefully so you don’t break the tofu cubes.
7. Plate and drizzle chili oil on top. Enjoy with rice or skip the carbs and enjoy it by adding more tofu to you dish for more substance.
If your sauce becomes to liquidy, you can create a slurry to thicken the sauce.
Slurry: equal portion of water and cornstarch mixed together. You only need 1/4 cup of slurry to thicken this dish