The Ultimate Lo-Mein
Many of my customers at Fang are always asking for Lo-Mein which is a noodle that is tossed with a sauce. It can have meat in it or no meat at all. Or it can simply have a simple sauce with scallions. Depending on what region the Lo-mein is from, the sauce varies. The one I created is more of a Northern Style. I however amped the dish up a lot by adding a bunch of additional toppings that you would not normally find in a Lo-Mein. Since I love adding various textures to dishes to make it interesting, I added some toppings with crunch, spice, and creaminess. I also changed the noodles to pasta which makes the noodle more al dente. The garlic infused into the pasta also adds another great addition to the dish. All the elements in this dish help elevate the traditional Lo-Mein to an amazing or what I call the ULTIMATE LO-MEIN.
The Ultimate Lo-Mein
Ingredients: Serves 2
1 pack of garlic infused fresh spaghetti (Whole Food’s)
3/4 lb ground turkey (breast)
2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
soy bean oil
1/2 cup of minced celery
1/2 cup of sliced red bell peppers
1/2 cup of sliced scallions
a few slices of jalapeno for added kick
2 fried egg (runny yolk)
crispy basil (optional)
1/2 cup of cilantro
1. Boil your pasta until al dente in boiling water with a touch of salt
2. In a nonstick pan, drizzle some soy bean oil in it and heat to high. Add your ground turkey and brown.
3. Add your garlic, and all your seasoning (vinegar, sugar, soy, hoisin suace)
4. Taste your turkey and add your soy or salt if you want it saltier. Add 1/4 cup water and let it simmer for 5 minutes so you can infuse more flavor to your turkey as well as build a slight sauce.
5. Now drain your pasta and plate into a bowl.
6. Fry your sunny side eggs and set aside.
7. Spoon your turkey mixture over the noodles and drizzle a little sesame oil over it.
8. Top with sunny side egg, crispy basil, cilantro
9. In a separate plate, add your extra sides, red bell peppers, cilantro, scallions, and jalapeno. These side extras add crunch and freshness to your noodles.
Enjoy and be sure to mix everything together so you can enjoy all the different textures and flavors.