Spaghetti alla Vongole : Spaghetti w/ Clams
This is one of my favorite pastas. If you’ve had it at restaurants, everyone does it slightly different. Here is my version which I love and is a definite crowd pleaser. I reduce my sauce with a dry crisp but slightly sweet wine (sauvignon blanc) garlic, shallots, parsley, half clam broth and 1/4 chicken broth, rendered bacon ( but you can use ham, guanciale, or pancetta) and chili flake. It creates a very nice flavorful sauce which is still light and brothy.
Spaghetti w/ Clams in White Wine Garlic Parsley Serves 2
12 fresh little neck clams
4 cloves of garlic (2 minced and 2 sliced thinly)
1/2 cup freshly minced parsley
3 tablespoon minced shallots
1 slice of bacon (diced)
1/4 sauvignon blanc or any dry white wine
1/2 cup clam juice
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbls butter
2 tsp chili flake
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 teaspoon dry basil or oregano
salt and pepper
1. Wash your clams in water and a little bit of salt
2. Soak it in the water for 5- 10 minutes. You should also start your boiling water for the spaghetti and boil with salt until al dente
3. In a large pan, heat some olive oil and add your minced garlic, 1/4 of the minced parsley, bacon, and 1/4 of your minced shallots
4. Brown for 1 minute and add your clams to the pan
5. Stir around for 2 minutes and now add your white wine, clam juice, and chicken broth
6. Let it boil until the clams open up
7. Once they open pour the liquid and clams into a large bowl and add 1 tbls butter in and the lemon juice.
8. Let the clams sit in the liquid and now add some olive oil in the emptied pan.
9. Heat it back up and add the rest of your shallots, sliced garlic, 1/4 of your minced garlic and brown.
10. After the shallots soften, add your cooked spaghetti in the pan and toss.
11. Now add your clams and half the liquid and cook on high heat and toss thoroughly until fully incorporated.
12. If the liquid starts to get absorbed by the pasta, add more of the remaining liquid.
13. Toss with chili flake and a little drizzle of olive oil. The sauce should absorb into the pasta. Add the remainder of your minced parsley and give it one last toss.
14. Serve immediately with some sauce. Garnish with a parsley sprig and lemon slices.