Ingredients: Serves 2
1 lb Boneless shortrib
3 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoon red wine (cabernet)
2 cup beef stock
1/4 cup sliced brown onions
1 tablespoon dried parsley or fresh minced parsley
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup baby shitake mushrooms
1 whole asian pear sliced
2 cup dried orzo or riso pasta
chives for garnish and horseradish is optional
1. Be sure to trim some of the fat off your shortribs to cut down on grease and you can ask your butcher to cut off the bones if they only have the shortribs with bone.
2. Heat your pot to high heat with a little oil and brown your shortrib on each side.
3. Add your onions and caramelize for a bit
4. Now add 1 cup beef stock, parsley, soy, red wine and let it simmer with lid until fork tender.
5. Rinse your shitake of any dirt
6. Cook your orzo or riso pasta in a pot with 1 cup of beef stock, pears, shitake mushrooms and one bay leaf.
7. Once the shortribs are forktender, remove the shortrib and tear into smaller pieces and pour half of the liquid into the orzo and keep the other half and toss your shortrib pieces back in the pot and let it simmer some more.
8. Taste your shortrib and if you need more flavor, add salt and pepper.
9. Now you are ready to plate.
10. Spoon some orzo with the mushrooms and pears onto a bowl and top it with your shortrib. Garnish with a small dollop of horseradish and 2 small sprigs of chive.