This is a great alternative to the usual fattening breakfast quesadilla. This is a grilled lavash breakfast sandwich and you can be creative with the filling. In this case I used spinach lavash which has some of the fewest calories and fat in the bread category. I love lavash for its versatility. You can make a low carb panini using lavash, make quesadillas, pizzas, etc.
Low Fat Breakfast Quesadilla
Ingredients: (serves 2)
2 large pieces of spinach lavash
1 cup egg whites or regular eggs ( I used fat free eggs, a version of eggwhites at Wholefoods that looks and almost taste like regular with yolk)
3 cups raw spinach
1/2 sliced brown onions
1/4 lb sliced turkey
low fat shredded mozzarella
salt and pepper
1. Heat pan to high with a drizzle of olive oil and sautee your spinach with the onions and season with salt and pepper.
2. Add your eggs to the wilted spinach and cook.
3. Season your eggs.
4. Rub a little olive oil outside of the lavash and lay flat on board.
5. Layer some cheese first and then 2-3 slices of turkey.
6. Then layer your spinach egg mixture on top and fold the lavash over.
7. Place into your heated panini press and grill.
8. Once it has nice grill marks and the cheese is melted, remove and slice diagonally. Serve with ketchup or salsa and guacamole.
Enjoy this great breakfast that’s packed with protein and veggies with fewer calories and fat than you can believe but still packs the same yummy goodness that a quesadilla provides you with.
Optional: While you are cooking your eggs with the spinach, you can add shredded cheese to your scramble in addition to adding to the lavash to give it more of a quesadilla cheesiness consistency.