Been trying to stick to a healthy diet as of late and so far it’s been pretty easy. As long as you are mindful of how much protein, whole grain carbs, and vegetables you are serving yourself each time, it really isn’t too hard to fall off of.
For breakfast I usually have any one of the following choices:
Oatmeal, cereal with soy milk or skim milk, or yogurt with fruit and granola. Usually coffee or tea as beverage
For Lunch I always have one cup of whole grains, one cup of lean protein (chicken breast, lean fish, or tofu), one cup of vegetables
For Dinner I have the same amount of whole grains, lean protein and vegetables.
In between all my meals, I snack (average of 4 snacks a day)
I usually snack on yogurt, nuts, and fruits.
I allow myself one cheat day out of a week and of course since I cook a lot at the restaurant for customers I also taste and snack on items in the kitchen as well.
So why this whole long winded post? Well I found a really tasty chicken and veggie dish to have with brown rice which I’ve been making myself a lot of. The lean protein, the varieties of veggies, and the flavor make it easy to eat healthy. It’s also is easy to make and works great for storing and reheating in a box for another meal the next day
1. Panfried Chicken Breast w/ soy garlic and lemon
2. Quick Vegetable Stew using brocolli, savoy cabbage, onions, baby carrots, and tomatoes
3. Brown Rice
Ingredients for Chicken:
3 pieces of sliced chicken breast
3 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 tablespoon minced garlic
juice of 1 whole lemon
a few pinches of salt and pepper
• Marinate the chicken in all the ingredients above and drizzle a little olive oil on it. Let it marinate for at least 20 to 30 mins. Can marinate up to 2 hours.
• You can either grill the chicken in a Panini press or George Foreman grill or you can panfry in a flat pan with a little oil.
• Brown each side of the chicken when the oil is hot in the pan. Once the chicken is brown, turn heat down a little and cover. Let it cook a little longer so that the chicken is cooked all the way through. Once chicken is done, plate onto a dish and serve with your vegetable stew and brown rice.
Ingredients for vegetable stew
1 cup broccoli
1.5 cup sliced savoy cabbage
1 cup baby carrots
1 cup red brown onions
1 can of stewed tomatoes or you can use fresh chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoon dry white wine
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
• Heat oil on high in a large pot and toss in all your ingredients. Panfry a bit to get a little caramelization on your vegetables. Add your wine and then let it cook on high heat for 1-2 minutes. Now add some water and turn your heat down to medium/low and cover with lid.
• Let everything simmer until the vegetables are soft and taste before seasoning. Once the flavor is right, should be a little salty and a little tart as well from the tomatoes.
Both the chicken and the vegetable can be stored with the rice. The next day you can pack it and microwave the whole thing and eat it again as lunch. Remember to portion out everything so that you have one cup of whole grain, one cup of vegetable stew and one cup of your panfried chicken. You can also use the left over and create a scramble with it by dicing the chicken into small cubes and sautéing it with your vegetables and add some egg. Egg whites would even be better. You can also dice your leftover up and add into a large pot the next day and make chicken rice soup with it. Toss all your left over rice, veggies, chicken diced up and a carton of chicken stock. Simmer everything for about 1 hour and you’ve got a nice chicken rice soup as a meal. Overall it’s a easy 2 dish combo for one to make which also turns into a few other dishes when leftovers are used. Try it out sometime!